Make your own placemats and coasters—leather is surprisingly easy to work with
- Half-hide of raw, undyed upholstery leather (); you’ll need 7 sq. ft. for 4 placemats and 4 coasters
- Metal right-angle ruler
- Utility knife
- Neon leather paint (such as Angelus)
- Flat-tip paintbrushes
1. On a safe surface, using the ruler as a guide, cut leather into four 12- by 15-in. placemats.
2. Create a 1-in. border around each placemat by roughing in a striped pattern with light pencil marks.
3. Paint the border in contrasting colors. Let dry and apply another coat if needed.
4. From leather scraps, cut four 31/2- by 31/2-in. coasters. Repeat painting process within a 1/4-in. border.
Project by Heather Taylorm who is co-owner of art gallery Taylor De Cordoba and has just launched a linen line, Heather Taylor Home, inspired by her travels.